Liverpool.com

Xabi Alonso 'preferred' Liverpool over Chelsea as FSG's Arne Slot decision clear

Below is a summary of the full article. Click here for the full version from Liverpool.com or go back to LFC Live.


Liverpool FC NewsFeaturesXabi AlonsoFernando Morientes believes Xabi Alonso, the newly confirmed Chelsea manager, would have preferred to take charge at Liverpool over Stamford Bridge had the Reds made him an offerXabi Alonso is the new Chelsea boss(Image: Getty Images)Former Liverpool forward Fernando Morientes believes Xabi Alonso was justified in taking the Chelsea position after it became apparent Fenway Sports Group (FSG) would retain Arne Slot at Anfield.Alonso's appointment as Stamford Bridge manager was made official over the weekend, with the former Bayer Leverkusen and Real Madrid head coach set to begin on July 1.Alonso had been without a club since January following his departure from Real Madrid, and rumors had circulated about the 2005 Champions League victor replacing Slot at Anfield after a thoroughly underwhelming campaign on Merseyside, during which the Reds suffered 19 defeats in all competitions.READ MORE: What Jurgen Klopp said about Liverpool return as Mohamed Salah piles pressure on Arne SlotREAD MORE: Liverpool confirms Mohamed Salah gesture vs Brentford as statement released after outburstMorientes, who played alongside Alonso for both Liverpool and Spain, suggested his former teammate couldn't wait indefinitely for the Anfield opportunity, though he acknowledged Alonso would likely have favored managing the club where he spent five years from 2004 to 2009."That is very personal," Morientes told BetBrothers."If he wants to coach, Liverpool do not call him but Chelsea do, Chelsea is still a huge club in a great city.Arne Slot is under pressure at Liverpool(Image: Getty Images)"When you are starting out, you cannot always follow your heart. If he had both options, I imagine he would prefer Liverpool."But if only Chelsea come in and he wants to coach, it would be a very good move."I said it from the moment he left [Real Madrid]."A lot of people can now say it was a bad decision and call me opportunistic, but I said it as soon as Xabi Alonso was sacked [fired]."It seemed very premature.



Projects are built around a clear leader, and that leader was Xabi Alonso."To remove the head of the project after three or four months, when it had started well, means starting everything from scratch again."And it is not easy for things to work out, especially at big clubs. So yes, I think his departure was rushed."The Reds round off their campaign by hosting Brentford at Anfield this coming Sunday.Choose Liverpool.com as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.Xabi AlonsoArne SlotLiverpool FCChelsea FC